Blog has moved, searching new blog...

03 June, 2012

NAGADEMO - Day 2. The Idea, The Tools.

Ok, for my game for the National Game Development Month, I've decided to create a overhead shooter for android phones, where the user controls a man (I haven't decided on the theme yet) and has to complete missions.

For my development tool, I've done some tile map demos using both basic4android and processing.org, but am leaning more towards processing.org, as basic4android just seems completely wrong for an action game engine, making things such as drawing sprites in the game loop over complicated and more resource hungry.

With processing.org, It's a really fun language, and ofcourse it means that with a bit of editing the game will be able to run on Winodows, Linux, Mac(although I won't as I don't have a Mac), browsers as well as my main target ofAndroid.


For controlling the player on the phone, I have to make some tough desicions, whether to super-impose a small control pad onto the screen (thus, compromising the playing area), or work out a easy yet fun control method using tapping the screen to perform actions.

The world will be made up of tiled rooms, (indoor and outdoor) that connect.
The two themes that I'm thinking of are either a classic Star Trek inspired game, or a Mission Impossible, Metal Gear Solid, Splinter Cell, etc.. spy game, where the objective is to infiltrate somewhere without being seen.


As, this blog and my apps in the Android market show, I've often failed to finish bigger games, and all of the games that I've finished have been silly jokes, or very small games.  But hopefully, with NAGADEMO, I'll be able to finish a bigger game that satisfies me.

Some Ideas:






No comments:

Post a Comment