Blog has moved, searching new blog...

26 November, 2008

Development Difficulties and History - part 2 or 3

After writing this article, I have decided to split this history of the beginning of my journey into independent game development into three parts, to make it a less strenuous read and write.

Here's the second part of my self indulgent history of how I got here, but luckily this is shorter.

After University I relocated from the UK to Spain and worked as an English Teacher.
During this time I discovered a little game creation software program called Game Maker. It aims to allow people without programming experience to create 2D games, while allowing more experienced users to use it's inbuilt scripting language to make more complex games. While, I found this true, I think it would be incredibly hard or tiresome to create a descent game without the use of it's language.

After making a few simple games in Game Maker, I came up with the idea of maybe using my English Teaching knowledge to make some educational software, as I had seen the strengths and weaknesses of various educational software, and how children quickly tire of repetitive and long computer games and activities.

Using my knowledge from my degree in Computer Science, I came up with a good design document (even if it was scribbled) of what I wanted. However, putting these ideas into Game Maker was a frustrating experience due to the limitations of the software and also the speed. So, after two months I archived my Game Maker files and decided to find another programming language.

After various searches, and finding C++ to strenuous for what I wanted to do, I downloaded a copy of Blitz3D..

No comments:

Post a Comment