Blog has moved, searching new blog...

14 June, 2012

NaGaDemo, Delays and Finding a new tool: Monkey

A week has passed since my last update.

But I've been frustrated with processing.org.  It's definetly not suited to a tilemap based game.  So, I've been thinking long term and looking for a good game engine/language that I can use long term for bigger games.  Over the past few days I've been looking at the languages ease of use, what targets it can compile for (most important is Android), and then small things such as if it's possible to add adverts.

I eventually came down to, libGDX, Gideros, glBasic and Monkey, which all felt not so difficult to get into.  I think, I was a bit overwhelmed with libGDX coming from a Basic background.  I really liked Gideros, and think it's an awesome tool if your just focuesed on Android or the IPhone.  But, my choice came down to glBasic (which I had used before) and Monkey, which both can compile the same code for a variety of platforms, from Android and iOS to Windows and Linux (among others)

I have chosen Monkey for two reasons, first there are community created modules for using ads in mobile games, and secondly, it's not too far away from my first love, BlitzMax.

Anyway this means that my NaGaDeMo game has taken a step back as I rewrite it in Monkey, (I'm at the same point as I was in Processing and it has taken only a few hours).  I hope that the loss of 7 days will allow me to complete it.  Also, at first it will probably only be available for HTML5, as I'll have to wait until my next pay day to buy Monkey, which will enable me to compile for Android (and PC and Flash).

For very small games I will continue to use Basic4Android.

3 comments:

  1. After study a few of the blog poasts on your website now, and I truly like your way of blogging. I bookmarked it to my bookmark website list and will be checking back soon. Pls check out my web site as well and let me know what you think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's definetly not suited to a tilemap based game. So, I've been thinking long term and looking for a good game engine/language that I can use long term for bigger games.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, after using it I agree. At the moment I'm using processing. As, I like the language, the way it can be improved using java and that it can compile easily to linux/windows/mac/android. And it's free.

    ReplyDelete